Thursday, September 05, 2013

Friends...gems of life...

Well, it's been a while since I've posted my last entry.  In fact it's almost two years now.  How time flies.  Though months ago how I've wished to jot down a note or two on this blog of mine but I guess I was caught up with the demands of work.  Nevertheless, here I am inspired again to post something to read on and this time, what comes up in my mind is about friendship.

Everybody has its own view of friendship.  How each and everyone of us regards friendship is understandably different from the point of view of the male populace and from the female ones.  Similarly there's also a big difference on how we consider our own female friends from that of our male pals.

For me a friend is a friend.  I don't have prejudices as to what category of human populace does one belong.  What matters is how I get along with the person, how well we understand each other and how we can count on one another in times of need.  The basic characteristics I always seek to find in a person is if we have the same wavelength, for it's only if we have it that everything falls into places, like respecting each others' differing opinions on things, tolerating dissimilar tastes and understanding each other.  For one of the most beautiful qualities of friendship is to understand and be understood.  A friend should be one in whose understanding and virtue we can equally confide, and whose opinion and advise we can value at once for its justness and its sincerity.

They say that friends keep one going, that they give you cushion when you fall even if you don't want or need one.  I guess it all boils down to the song "That's What Friends Are For".  However, friendships, even very good ones, typically change over time.  Sadly some friendship change radically, regrettably they deteriorated to such an extent they could never be reinstated.  This usually comes along when a person you consider friend betrayed you.  Like for instance, derisive remarks, or thoughtless and malicious chatter of persons you consider friends delivered behind your backs will surely ruin your friendship.  Well, maybe unintentionally there are times in life when one is forced to go against one’s will and commit crimes against friendship.  Nonetheless, everybody deserves second chance.  So for me I always give the benefit of the doubt and consider everyone a potential friend until they prove otherwise.

At any rate, it feels great when you find true friends who will be there to love you through ups and downs and through thick and thin.  Friends who are there to share your stories, dreams, hugs and prayers.  Friends who remind you to laugh and be silly sometimes.  And most importantly they help you feel accepted just the way you are.  But when we honestly ask ourselves which friends means the most to us, we often find that they are those who, instead of giving advice, solutions, or cures, have chosen rather to share our pain and touch our wounds with a warm and tender hand.  For when a friend touches our lives, it is their identity that they leave to us.

We all know that life is better when we are happy and one of the reasons for being happy are our friends.  But maybe you'll agree that life is at its best when others are happy because of us.  So, let's make people happy and be friendly... remember, sometimes, it takes only a smile to gain a friend, a friend who might be there for us through our lifetime...

No comments:

Post a Comment